Europa Film Festivals launched
European film festivals are coming together to launch a new federation.
Luxembourg City Film Festival and Galway Film Fleadh, one of Ireland’s leading film festivals, are delighted to announce a new festival network, Europa Film Festivals. Europa Film Festivals (EFF) originated from a Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture project whose members first met at a conference during the Galway Film Fleadh in 2017. This laid the foundation for festivals of a similar ethos to work together and lead to the subsequent drafting of a charter outlining their core values.
The network’s primary purpose is to formalise a system for sharing information, strategies and culture amongst festivals representing a strong voice in Europe. It will shape and develop common positions and perspectives on key issues, resources, business models, best practices and information exchange infrastructures to support members in the emerging film ecosystem, providing a unique opportunity to strengthen film festivals.
Speaking about the network, Miriam Allen, EFF Chairperson, CEO of the Galway Film Fleadh and member of LuxFilmFest 2019’s Documentary Jury said: “We are very excited to present our network and look forward to contributing to the important work that Europa Film Festivals can achieve together in the future.”
Alexis Juncosa, Artistic Director of the Luxembourg City Film Festival and Europa Film Festivals’ Vice-Chair, added: “We are extremely pleased to take part in this initiative, born out of the joint desire to form an association that combines forces to benefit from the unique dynamics of all the festivals involved. We are hoping that this federation will become a solution-oriented partner for dialogue and new ideas. The goals and ambitions of this European association are now being finalised and a specific communication detailing the federation’s objectives should be released soon.”
Europa Film Festivals intends to maximise the broad experience, knowledge and creativity of its members in a sustainable and ever-evolving network. In cooperation with Galway 2020 and the Galway Film Fleadh, EFF member festivals will co-curate “Peripheral Visions”, a competitive programme of 13 films focused on the themes “Language, Landscape and Migration”. The selected films, available to view online through Galway Film Fleadh’s website from 7th-12th July for Irish residents, will be followed by online Q&As that the public has the opportunity to participate in. The winning film will be awarded 3,000 €. Luxembourg City Film Festival has chosen Julie Schroell’s River Tales (Cuentos del rio) (a Calach Films co-production) for the competition.
Europa Film Festivals network members:
- Miriam Allen (Chair) – Galway Film Fleadh, Ireland
- Alexis Juncosa (Vice-Chair) – Luxembourg City Film Festival, Luxembourg
- Michele Devlin – Belfast Film Festival, Northern Ireland
- Hrönn Marinósdóttir – Reykjavik International Film Festival, Iceland
- Alejandro Díaz Castaño – Gijón International Film Festival, Spain
- Fredau Buwalda – Noordelijk Film Festival, The Netherlands
- Kathrin Kohlstedde – Filmfest Hamburg, Germany
- Nektarios Sakkas – Athens International Film Festival, Greece
- Emmanuel Cuénod – Geneva International Film Festival, Switzerland
- Guilhem Caillard – Festival de Films CINEMANIA, Montreal, Canada
- Milja Mikkola – Midnight Sun Film Festival, Finland
- Johanna Caraire – Festival International du Film Indépendant de Bordeaux, France