INTERNATIONAL DAY OF COMMEMORATION 2019
International Holocaust Remembrance Day
Organisation: Ministère de l'Éducation Nationale, de l'Enfance et de la Jeunesse, Fondation Zentrum fir politesch Bildung, Luxembourg City Film Festival, Centre National de l'Audiovisuel (CNA), SCRIPT (Éducation culturelle), Institut de Formation del'Éducation Nationale (IFEN)
Films : Hotel Rwanda (UK, ZA, IT, 2004) by Terry George and Die Unsichtbaren (DE, 2017) by Claus Räfle
Date : 21st, 23rd, 25th, 28th and 30th January 2019
Venue : CNA, Ciné Scala, Ciné Sura, Ciné Prabbeli, Cinémaacher, KulturFabrik, Kinepolis Kirchberg
Time : 8.00 am -12.30 pm
Moderators : Yves Steichen (CNA - Département Film-TV), Sam Hastert (CNA)
In its resolution on the 26 October 2005, the United National General Assembly designated the 27th January as International Holocaust Remembrance Day in all of its member nations. In Luxembourg, the Day is held each year on or around that date.
The day aims to inform young people about the dangers of intolerance, racial hatred and ignorance and to build a greater awareness of prejudices, stereotypes and violence towards others, in a bid to build a better and fairer world.
Marking the 25th anniversary of the genocide in Rwanda, this year’s Remembrance Day will commemorate the Rwandans who were killed over the course of 100 days in 1994.
The International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2019 is aimed at teachers and students of the "enseignement secondaire" in Luxembourg.
Additional informational on the United Nation's Day of Commemoration can be found here.
In recognition of the day, a special series of matinee film screenings (8:00-12:30) will take place for classes, free of charge.
- 21 Jan 2019 in Dudelange at Centre National de l’Audiovisuel (CNA) – Hotel Rwanda (EN OV with DE subt.) and The Invisibles (DE OV)
- 23 Jan 2019 in Diekirch at Cinéma Scala - Hotel Rwanda (EN OV with DE subt.) and The Invisibles (DE OV)
- 25 Jan 2019 in Grevenmacher at Kulturhuef - Hotel Rwanda (EN OV with DE subt.)
- 25 Jan 2019 in Echternach at Ciné Sura - The Invisibles (DE OV)
- 28 Jan 2019 in Esch-sur-Alzette at KulturFabrik - Hotel Rwanda (EN OV with DE subt.)
- 28 Jan 2019 in Wiltz at Ciné Prabbeli - The Invisibles (DE OV)
- 30 Jan 2019 in Luxembourg at Kinepolis Kirchberg - The Invisibles (DE OV with FR subt. )
- 30 Jan 2019 in Esch-sur-Alzette at KulturFabrik - The Invisibles (DE OV with FR subt. )
Students can be registered online by their teacher or a chaperone from 28th November 2018 onwards. Registrations close on the 18th January 2019.
Marking the 25th anniversary of the genocide in Rwanda, an additional public screening of Hotel Rwanda (EN OV with FR subt.) followed by a roundtable discussion will take place on 30th January 2019 at 6.30 PM at Kinepolis Kirchberg.
Tickets for the public screening of Hotel Rwanda can be purchased on the evening at the box office of Kinepolis Kirchberg or on their webshop.
10:45 Break and start of the workshops
Foundation Zentrum fir politesch Bildung
Founded in October 2016, the Foundation Zentrum fir politesch Bildung – Centre for Citizenship Education promotes citizen participation, in particular of children and young adults. The ZpB aims to:
- support actors working in the field of citizenship education, in both formal and informal education settings;
- create tools and educational offers;
- develop campaigns aimed at the general public on the basis of societal and political questions.
Further Education Course for Teachers
On 21 January 2019 from 4.00 to 6.00 PM, a further education course for teachers "Judentum und Antisemitismus in Luxemburg. Zwischen Anerkennung und Exklusion" (in German) is taking place, led by Renée Wagener, historian and journalist at the IFEN. The course will be held in the IFEN building in Walferdange. Sign up here.
For any additional questions concerning the matinee film screenings or the further education course, please do not hesitate to contact Mr. Romain Schroeder by phone (+352) 24 77 52 23 or e-mail email@example.com.
Interested school classes are also invited to a series of readings from "Marisha, d’Meedchen aus dem Faass“ in Wincrange, Beaufort and Ettelbrück. LESC and LTMA students can take part in readings from "The Diary of Anne Frank". Additional information available on the official website.