Belgium, Netherlands , 2019 / 90 min / French version / family
Binti, the daughter of an illegal immigrant to Belgium, hatches a plan to save her family from deportation.
Like many girls her age, twelve-year-old Binti dreams of becoming a famous vlogger. But Binti and her father live as undocumented immigrants in Belgium, constantly at risk of being deported as illegal aliens. Eleven-year-old Elias on the other hand lives with his divorced mother and is busy running his “Save the Okapi”. But he isn’t too keen on his annoying neighbour eyeing his mother and planning a trip together. When Binti has to go on the run after a police raid, both children cross paths and become friends. Binti hatches a plan: Not only can she help Elias’ animal conservation efforts with her vlog, but if she could get her dad to marry Elias’s mum, Binti and her father wouldn’t be forced to leave Belgium any longer.
- Cinekid International Lion Jury Award for the Best International Children’s film, Cinekid, 2019 (Netherlands)
- Special Jury Diploma in the Teen Screen Competition, Molodist International Film Festival, 2019 (Ukraine)
- Grand Prix de Montréal for the Best Film, Montréal International Children’s Film Festival, 2019 (Canada)
- Special Mention of the Children’s Jury, Montréal International Children’s Film Festival, 2019 (Canada)
- Triton Teen’s Choice Award, Valletta Film Festival, 2019 (Malta)
- Best Children’s Film, Juniorfest – International Film Festival for Children and Youth, 2019 (Czech Republic)
- Ensor Award for the Best Youth Film, Film Festival Oostende, 2019 (Belgium)
- Best Film, JEF Festival, 2019 (Belgium)
Frederike Migom is a Belgian actress, screenwriter and director. After studying drama at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York, she moves to Paris to study filmmaking and work on projects in Paris and abroad. In 2011, she arrives in Brussels, where she’s currently based, and works as an assistant producer for a production company for three years, before directing her first short, Malakim (2014). Her third short, Nkosi Coiffure (2015), screens at several festival, including Tribeca, and wins awards in Valladolid, Washington and Brussels. Binti (2019) is her first feature as a director.
- 2019 – Binti
- 2017 – Valies vol dromen (court-métrage / short / Kurzfilm)
- 2017 – Si-G (court-métrage / short / Kurzfilm)
- 2015 – Nkosi coiffure (court-métrage / short / Kurzfilm)
- 2014 – Adam & Everything (court-métrage / short / Kurzfilm)
- 2014 – Malakim (court-métrage / short / Kurzfilm)