THE CROSSING (FLUKTEN OVER GRENSEN)
Norway, 2020 / 96 min / Norwegian OV with French, English & German subt. / Drama, War
In occupied Norway in 1942, four Jewish children flee the Nazis to Sweden.
The parents of adventurous 10-year-old Gerda and 13-year-old Otto are in the Norwegian resistance movement during the Second World War. One day, just before Christmas 1942, they are arrested, leaving the siblings on their own. Following the arrest, Gerda and Otto discover two Jewish children, Sarah and Daniel, hidden in a secret cupboard in their basement at home. It is now up to them to finish what their parents started: To help Sarah and Daniel flee from the Nazis and cross the border to neutral Sweden to reunite them with their parents. Chased by German soldiers through snow-covered forests, the four children can trust no one on their way out of the country.
The Crossing is a film about the confidence, uncompromising loyalty and great courage in even the youngest of children.
“To me, The Crossing is a film that can help focus on children who are on the run, today and yesterday. It is also a film that can help introduce relatively young children to an important chapter in our national and international history.” Director’s statement by Johanne Helgeland
|Sun||25/04||10:00||NO OV with FR, EN & DE subt.||Public|
- Best Children Film, Amanda Awards, 2020 (Norway)
- Cinekid Lion Audience Award – Best Children’s Film, Cinekid, 2020 (Netherlands)
- Best Feature Film for Children, Zlín International Film Festival for Children and Youth, 2020 (Czech Republic)
- ECFA Award, Oulu International Children's and Youth Film Festival, 2020 (Finland)
- Children's Jury Prize, Nordic Film Days Lübeck, 2020 (Germany)
- EFCA Feature Award, Filem'on - Brussels International Children’s Film Festival, 2020 (Belgium)
Johanne Helgeland belongs to the Norwegian Film School’s first alumni of directors. She is one of the country's most experienced female commercial directors, having directed several music videos early in her career. She has worked extensively on dramatic comedies, such as Melonas for NRK and NAV for TVNorge, as well as on several children's series (Kampen in 2013, Den Magiske Kroppen in 2015). In 2006 she co-wrote and directed shorts of the Ekko Ibsen series, with Marika Lagercrantz and Aksel Hennie starring. The Crossing (2020) is her first feature film.
- 2021 – Aldri voksen: Guttastemning (1 episode of the TV series)
- 2020 – Flukten over grensen
- 2015 – Den magiske kroppen (6 episodes of the TV series)
- 2014 – Kampen (4 episodes of the TV series)
- 2006 – Hvis jeg faller (short)