France, Germany, Czech Republic, 2021 / 80 min / French Version (FR) / Animation, Drama
A looted village, a family on the run and two children lost on the road to exile, trying to escape from those who are hunting them through an imaginary Europe.
In a coming-of-age journey that will take them from childhood to adolescence,
Kyona and Adriel will surmount many trials, both fantastic and very real, to reach their destination.
A sublime childish tale that confronts us with the reality of exile.
“La Traversée was born from the encounter between two emotions: family memory and the spectacular increase in human movements over the past decades. I saw reflected in the journey of Kurdish, Syrian, Sudanese, Afghan families, that of my own Jewish family”
Director’s statement, Florence Miailhe
“Wonderfully staged with its shifting colour palette and a multitude of subtle ideas gracefully put into images, The Crossing is a simple and profound, sophisticated and clear film, combining a humanist spirit with a look that does not turn away from the darker sides of beings. A first feature film with high artistic added value not to be missed (and to be shown to children) that Florence Miailhe has dedicated to her “grandmother, who, one day in 1905, left Odessa with her ten children, to flee the programs” and to “all those who one day or another leave their country hoping to find a better future elsewhere.”
- Fabien Lemercier, Cineuropa, 28/09/21
- Jury Distinction, Annecy International Animated Film Festival, 2021 (France)
- Audentia Prize, Festival du Nouveau Cinéma, 2021 (Canada)
- Innovation Award, Festival du Nouveau Cinéma, 2021 (Canada)
- Free Spirit Award, Warsaw International Film Festival, 2021 (Poland)
- Special, Gane Foudation for Cinema, 2017 (France)
- Best Script Award, Angers European First Film Festival, 2010 (France)
Born in 1956, Florence Florence Miailhe graduated from the National School of Decorative Arts. She began as a layout artist for the press, exhibiting drawings and engravings. In 1991, she directed her first short film Hammam. Since then, she has developed her very personal style in animation cinema.. Her work has been noticed in various festivals in France and abroad. She received a César for best short film in 2002 for Au premier dimanche d'août, a special mention at the Cannes Film Festival in 2006 for Conte de Quartier and a Cristal d'honneur in 2015 at the Annecy International Animation Film Festival for her work as a whole. The Crossing is her first feature film.
- 2020 – La Traversée
- 2012 – Méandres 20’ et une série de 6 épisodes de 5’ tirée des Métamorphoses d’Ovide
- 2008 – Matières à Rêver (court-métrage et série de 6 épisodes)
- 2006 – Conte de Quartier – (Mention spéciale du jury sélection officielle Cannes)
- 2000 – Les Oiseaux Noirs et les Oiseaux Blancs (court-métrage)
- 1998 – Au Premier Dimanche d’Août (court-métrage) (César du meilleur court-métrage)
- 1996 – Histoire d’un Prince devenu borgne et Mendiant (court-métrage)
- 1995 – Schéhérazade (court-métrage)
- 1991 – Hammam (court-métrage)