Portugal , 2021 / 70 min / OV Portuguese with EN and FR subt. / Drama – Documentarfilm
This gentle road movie maps Portugal onto Manhattan, or is it the other way around?
Joaquim is 63 and reaching the end of his working life. But he must follow the unemployment agency rules in order be able to retire, which means he needs to submit a few token job applications to prove that he has tried to find work. His tour takes him to industrial areas in the Portuguese countryside where factories stand idle. It is from there that Joaquim set out in the 70s to try his luck in New York, where he worked as a chauffeur and cab driver and saw more than one stock market crash. Joaquim has style and an air of urbanity. Always well-groomed and wearing a flamboyant patterned shirt, he’s reminiscent of American television stars from the 70s when he drives around in his Mercedes Elegance. He has played a lot of roles in his life: worker, immigrant, husband and friend. How will he do as a pensioner?
|Sun||06/03||21:00||Cinémathèque||PT OV with FR subt.||Public||https://luxfilmfestfilms.megatix.be/en/HO00004337?locationFilters=LFFCI&dateTime...|
|Thu||10/03||21:00||Ciné Utopia||PT OV with ENG subt.||Public||https://luxfilmfestfilms.megatix.be/en/HO00004337?locationFilters=LFFCU&dateTime...|
|Fri||11/03||19:00||Ciné Utopia||PT OV with ENG subt.||Public||https://luxfilmfestfilms.megatix.be/en/HO00004337?locationFilters=LFFCU&dateTime...|
"Facts, fabrication and the passage of time blur in director Susana Nobre's beguiling blend of social commentary and mellow memory piece." - Guy Lodge, film critic, Variety
- Official Selection, Berlin International Film Festival – Berlinale Forum Section, 2021 (Germany)
- Official Selection, Visions du Réel, 2021 (Switzerland)
- Official Selection, Nouvelles Vagues Competition, La Roche-sur-Yon IFF, 2021 (France)
- Best Portugese Feature Film Award, Indie Lisboa, Portugal , 2021 (Portugal)
- Official Selection, Viennale, 2021 (Austria)
- Official Selection, Altered States Competition, Mar del Plata IFF, 2021 (Argentina)
Susana Nobre (geb. 1974 in Lissabon) studierte Kommunikationswissenschaften und arbeitet als Drehbuchautorin, Regisseurin und Produzentin. Nach mehreren Kurz- und Dokumentarfilmen entstand 2018 ihr Spielfilmdebüt Tempo Comum.
- 2021 – Jack’s Ride
- 2018 - Tempo Comum (Ordinary Time)
- 2016 - As Viagens Philosophicas (Tracking the Naturalists) - TV Documentary
- 2015 - Provas, Exorcismos (Trials, Exorcisms) – court-métrage
- 2013 - Vida Activa (Active Life)
- 2010 - Lisboa – Província (Lisbon-Province) – court-métrage
- 2003 - O Que Pode Um Rosto (Daycare Hospital) ; Estados da Matéria (It Would Have Been Simple) – court-métrage