The Singing Club
United Kingdom , 2019 / 112 min / English OV with French & German subt. / Drama, Comedy
A feel-good story about the first British military wives’ choir that becomes a media sensation.
With their partners away serving in Afghanistan, each day is a struggle for the wives who are left on their own at a military base in England, wondering if they'll ever see their spouses again. Uptight social committee chair Kate tries to organise activities to keep the women's minds off things, but overcoming the daily worries and loneliness is no easy feat. But everything changes for the better when Kate finds an unexpected way to raise their spirits and combat the isolating realities of being an army wife: She discovers that the joy of singing is infectious and persuades a ragtag group of women on the base to form the first ever military wives’ choir. Finding their voice together, the misfit choir defy stuffy military traditions, anti-war protestors and overcome their own personal differences, helping each other to deal with their fears for loved ones in combat. The group of misfit women quickly find themselves at the centre of a media sensation and what started as a small way to spend their time explodes into a global media phenomenon none of them ever could have anticipated.
The story is inspired by the award-winning BBC documentary series The Choir: Military Wives from Twenty Twenty which saw choirmaster Gareth Malone select and train amateur singers to form choirs, sparking a global phenomenon.
Attention: Please purchase your tickets through the Kinepolis ticketing system for this film. Festival Pass not valid.
|Sat||07/03||19:00||Kinepolis Kirchberg||EN OV with FR & DE subt.||Public||https://kinepolis.lu/en/node/21162|
“There’s a slick, comforting charm underpinning scrappy comedy drama Military Wives, a film that squeezes a well-known true story into the crowd-pleasing packaging of a feelgood Britcom.” Benjamin Lee, The Guardian, 6/09/2019
“Military Wives is no laugh riot, but it’s refreshing realism (the women are brash and funny – in short, real) does allow for a few flashes of really good jokes. […] Military Wives nevertheless succeeds in striking a pleasant balance between the frankly inspiring and the refreshingly humble.” Elena Lazic, Cineuropa, 09/09/2019
- Truly Moving Picture Award, Heartland International Film Festival, 2019 (USA)
Peter Cattaneo was born in London in 1964, and graduated from the Royal College of Art. He made his feature debut with The Full Monty (1997), which won over 30 awards, including an Oscar and four BAFTAs. He then moved into the world of commercials and worked with many famous brands. He directed the features Lucky Break (2001), Opal Dream (2006), and The Rocker (2008), as well as several seasons of TV series like Rev. (2010-2014).
- 2019 – The Singing Club
- 2019 – Flack (3 épisodes de la série TV / 3 episodes of the TV series / 3 Folgen der Fernsehserie)
- 2017 – Diana and I
- 2016 – The A Word (3 épisodes de la série TV / 3 episodes of the TV series / 3 Folgen der Fernsehserie)
- 2010-2014 – Rev. (19 épisodes de la série TV / 19 episodes of the TV series / 19 Folgen der Fernsehserie)
- 2010-2012 – Little Crackers (4 épisodes de la série TV / 4 episodes of the TV series / 4 Folgen der Fernsehserie)
- 2008 – The Rocker
- 2006 – Opal Dream
- 2001 – Lucky Break
- 1997 – The Full Monty
- 1995 – Loved Up
- 1994 – The Bill: Mud Sticks (episode de la série TV / episode of the TV series / Folge der Fernsehserie)
- 1993 – The Bill: Hurting Inside (episode de la série TV / episode of the TV series / Folge der Fernsehserie)
- 1993 – Teenage Health Freak (6 épisodes de la série TV / 6 episodes of the TV series / 6 Folgen der Fernsehserie)
- 1991 – 4 Play: Say Hello to the Real Dr. Snide (episode de la série TV / episode of the TV series / Folge der Fernsehserie)
- 1991 – Dear Rosie (court-métrage / short / Kurzfilm)
- 1991 – The Full Wax (série TV / TV series / Fernsehserie)