France, 2020 / 31 min / French OV (FR OV) / Animation, Short
Vanille, a young Parisian girl recently arrived in Guadeloupe, plunges into an adventure tinged with mystery, meeting picturesque characters and a magical flower.
Vanille tells the story of a young girl of mixed race who hates her curly hair above all else but who learns to accept herself as she is. It is a story of self-acceptance and difference. In a world where appearance takes up so much space, taking a beautiful journey towards self-acceptance becomes an essential step towards self-love.
"An original story with fantastic elements brings us on a journey of discovering a girl’s native roots. This film uses the possibilities that animation has to cleverly approach its topic."
PÖFF Shorts Jury Commentary, 22/11/2021
- Best Children Animation, PÖFF Shorts, 2021 (Estonia)
- Cristal Award, Annecy International Animated Film Festival, 2021 (France)
- Grand Prize for Best Animated Short, New York International Children’s Film Festival, 2021 (United States)
- Audience Award (8+), New York International Children’s Film Festival, 2021 (United States) Coup de Coeur Les Femmes s’animent, Festival National du Film d’Animation de Rennes, 2021 (France)
- Best Animated Short Film, Children’s Film Festival of Seattle, 2021 (United States)
- Prix Jeunes Regards du Meilleur court-métrage, Festival Nouveaux Regards, Les Abymes, Guadeloupe, 2021 (France)
- Mo Jury’s Prize, Mo&Friese Kurzfilm Festival Hamburg, 2021 (Germany)
- Prix du Jury Jeune, Festival du Film d’Animation de Savigny, 2021 (Switzerland)
- Best Film, International Film Festival of Vila do Conde, 2021 (Portugal)
- Best European TV Special Award, Kecskemét Animation Film Festival, 2021 (Hungary)
Born in Guadeloupe in 1985, Guillaume Lorin grew up surrounded by nature and West Indian folklore. He left to study animation in Paris and then in Luxembourg. Tired of working on films that did not speak to him, he resumed his studies at the Poudrière School where he developed his Caribbean imagination. Building upon his experience in animation, Guillaume looks for a balance by making his first short film, Vanille.
- 2020 – Vanille
- 2015 – Yul et le Serpent
- 2013 – Aunt Hilda !
- 2005 – Leftover